Thursday, August 14, 2008

Summer Project

A trip to grandma and grandpa's house should always
include some really neat project that mom or dad would
never think of completing!

Since we like to pick up things that others discard. I had
found this chair on the side of the road. It was water
stained grey and the legs needed to be cut to get rid
of wear and rot.

The first day we painted it white (any light tinted color
would do) and let it dry in the sun...didn't get a photo
of that...used a water-based paint because I get it all
over me and knew my grand-daughter would also!

After it dried I dug out my collection of acrylic paints from
over the years and we tested them out on the chair.
A nice subtle paint job would never do and so we decided
not to paint anything the same color and switched them
from side to front to inside to back! It was least
grandma had a good time...i think Sajarie did also!

The seat had a really neat pattern (it did not show up till we
put the white paint on) so we decided to paint each
section its own color and the pattern also included circles
between each square so of course that too was different.
And grandma did not worry about overlaps or paint going in
different areas...we just played and enjoyed ourselves.

I think now i might put a thin line of black around the different
squares of the seat and maybe more design on each color or
section of the chair for interest! Why not! This is really a fun
project and it is all imagination!

Cutting the legs a little made the chair friendlier to the short legs of a
child. This is definitely a work in progress - updates as we moved along.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Major Accomplishment

Close friends of our family had the weddings of their two
daughters in the same year and two years later had three
grandchildren within two set of twins and
a cousin...whew! All i had to do was think of a quilt...
my biggest thought was how active the families were
and to have a quilt that could be used and used and
washed over and over and still hold up. I had purchased
a lot of fish print material and had also found quite a bit
of batik with the bright and durable colors that appealed
to i came up with this trio.

Jackson Anthony's quilt had to be a little masculine yet
tie in to his sister's and also his cousin..I had to include
a touch of pink plaid. I also attempted a wak-n-stack block
along one edge but ran out of patience. The back is a
majority of the dark blue fish batik with some of the light
blue frogs...this is really a lot of little boy friendly prints and
colors...very pleased with how it looked.
SusieQ's Quilts quilted it in a varigated thread overall pattern.

Monroe Paisley's quilt had to include some of her twin brother's
colors and also her cousin Savannah. Her quilt was still feminine
and bright and quilted in a sturdy overall pattern by SusieQ's Quilts.

Savannah Lynn's quilt had to include some of each of her i put in the
dark batik and some of the fish green
and yellow of Jackson's and Monroe's. Her
backing stayed
true to pink and bright...The overall quilting done by SusieQ's

Quilts made this a good sturdy drag-a-round quilt for Savannah
to grow up with.

Having tried to take photos of the quilts i have made in the
past i wanted to find a new way that worked...If i remember
to take photos they usually have been too dark..or blurry.
I thought a natural setting would set these three off nicely
so i went outdoors. I have an old stretcher quilt frame that
is set up with "c" clamps so i pinned the quilt to the board(it's
wrapped with fabric) and hung the board with fishing line to
an oak limb. There was a breeze blowing so the quilts took
off flying and then i also remembered the background and
had to move around to exclude distractions. Here are
examples of the problems.